PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Not Being Barbie

My thighs.  I hate them.  Well, I used to hate them.  We're working on our relationship.  Although I'm not so pleased by their size, recently I've been trying to say nice things about them - they help me walk, stand, and even sit.  Yes, they don't belong in a Victoria Secret catalog and are even bigger than most girls I work with.  But still, what would I do without my strong thighs?  How would I get from one place to another?  How would I exercise, drive, dance?  I love my thighs because without them I would have to give up everything I love.

When I was a teenager I read this poem in English class - it hit home then, and it hits home now.  The way we look has come such an obsession in our society, that in some cases, we would do anything to reach perfection - even if that means up giving our lives.  Maybe we're not all literally giving up our lives, but for me, I'm letting my weight consume me, define me, be me.

Barbie Girl
Marge Piercy

This girlchild was born as usual
and presented dolls that did pee-pee
and miniature GE stoves and irons
and wee lipsticks the color of cherry candy.
Then in the magic of puberty, a classmate said:
You have a great big nose and fat legs.

She was healthy, tested intelligent,
possessed strong arms and back,
abundant sexual drive and manual dexterity.
She went to and fro apologizing.
Everyone saw a fat nose on thick legs.

She was advised to play coy,
exhorted to come on hearty,
exercise, diet, smile and wheedle.
Her good nature wore out
like a fan belt.
So she cut off her nose and her legs
and offered them up.

In the casket displayed on satin she lay
with the undertaker's cosmetics painted on,
a turned-up putty nose,
dressed in a pink and white nightie.
Doesn't she look pretty? everyone said.
Consummation at last.
To every woman a happy ending.


Although I have never cut off my legs - I've gone on crazy diets, I've starved myself, and when it didn't work - I binged.  That's not healthy.  It's not okay to go to these extreme lengths all because I'm upset about being the "fat girl."

What do you think?  Do you identify at all with this poem?Photobucket


4 comments:

Karen@WaistingTime

Oh that is so sad! And depressing. I love the first paragraph that YOU wrote:)

Anonymous

ugh. I definitely identify with it.
When I was younger, I remember people's opinions of me meant the world and any little negative remark would stick and grow until it consumed me. Thankfully, that's changed a lot as I grew up. I can't say honestly that people's opinions mean nothing to me, but they carry far less weight than before.

I like your comments about how you view your legs. It's so true! We need to remember how many great things our body does for us and focus on how we can make it easier to keep doing those things! I need to stop seeing my thighs as "too big", "jiggly" and "laden with stretchmarks" and start seeing them as the things that let me be independent and carry me through each day.

Food Addict

Karen - this poem was actually darker than I had remembered. I almost didn't post it, but than remembered the strong feelings I felt as a teen and decided to go for it!

Danielle - I feel the same about people's opinions. As I've grown up, I've really learned that it doesn't matter what 'they' think. And you definitely need to remember the blessing that a body is! We're so lucky to be able to run, etc. But of course, body love is something I'm currently working on... hopefully it works!

Philomina

Phentermine online should be used as a short term drug to help patients to start losing weight while the patient is undergoing permanent long term changes in their attitude towards food and exercise.

Post a Comment